The club is one of the legacies of past area governor Richard Kaszuba, who requested Melvin Bell to assist him in establishing an English-speaking Rotary Club in the Tri-city area.
One of the main criteria of the club is that meetings are conducted in English.
Our first unofficial meeting was held in The Europa Hotel, Sopot in July 2001 when 7 potential members met for an informal get together. The meeting was an instant success and has met every week since that date.
Membership grew quite healthily; it was decided to aim for our charter towards the end of 2002. We became full members of Rotary International in October 2002 with 21 members.
Sopot International has had members from Europe; Asia, and America, countries represented are Poland, United Kingdom, Denmark, United States of America, India, Hong Kong, Germany, Italy, Finland and Sweden.
The club grew steadily and had 26 members as at May 2003. Being an international club, our membership fluctuates quite a lot as members who are here on secondment from their overseas companies are constantly arriving and leaving. Currently in 2014 we have 21 members.
Owing to our growth we changed venue in March 2003 to the Haffner Hotel in Sopot and in 2007 we changed our venue once again to the newly renovated Grand Hotel.
For more information regarding supportive programmes please visit our news page.
List of our Presidents
- 2002 – 2003: Marek Reszko
- 2003 – 2004: Barbara Pawlisz
- 2004 – 2005: Tadeusz Iwanowski
- 2005 – 2006: Robert Powell
- 2006 – 2007: Janusz Kabata
- 2007 – 2008: Sanjiv Malik
- 2008 – 2009: Wojciech Kossak
- 2009 – 2010: Bohdan Tillack
- 2010 – 2011: Maria Dudziak
- 2011 – 2012: Michał Sielewicz
- 2012 – 2013 Ryszard Michalski
- 2013 – 2014 Sweata Shah- Ostrowska
- 2014 – 2015 Wisenna Szymanska
- 2015 – 2016 Rinus Roose
- 2016 – 2017 Elisabeth Utsch
- 2017 – 2018 Bendt Haverberg